Thursday, January 24, 2013

North County Business News: From a Bull To A Buffalo

VS.
 

One animal with horns has vacated the building and a new one with horns is calling it home.
I'm talking about the old El Torito building in the Encinitas Ranch Center. Which was formerly a Chesapeake Bar and Grill and some American/Japanese futuristic fusion thing about 10 years ago. As reported by the North County Surf blog back in March, the best thing for that spot would have been some sort of brewery like Pizza Port, Karl Strauss, or a...
Stone Brewery since we already have enough Mexican restaraunts, Italian joints, and Islands/Chili's/Souplantions nearby. There were some rumors that Yardhouse was making a bid on that place but alas it fell through.
 
So my dream of beer coming to that building IS coming true- just without the gourmet food. So in comes the hot new thing to hit dining: Buffalo Wild Wings (move over Chic-Fil-A. Remember when Krispy Kreme was all the rage)? Now don't get me wrong, from what I've seen on the menu at Buffalo Wild Wings, it's got great burgers, appetizers and um, wings. But it just reminds me of Hooters without the Hooters (can't believe I just said that). Will I frequent the establishment? Of course I will. And I have to admit we're fortunate that the New Encinitas business district has 1 of everything (from Best Buy to Target to Wal Mart to Sports Authority to Apple to Big Lots to Home Depot to McDonalds to Chili's to Islands to Souplantation to Chipotle to Taco Bell- you get the picture) so there's not much left to fill the old Torito spot- the recession is killing businesses faster than we can replace them. But Buffalo Wild Wings?! Maybe having a beer right now will ease my fears.