Sunday, February 17, 2013

Surf Product Review: The Spy Happy Lens


There are all kinds of iconic signs in Encinitas- the Surfing Madonna at Surfy Surfy, Lou's Records and the upcoming music releases,  the mosaic under the lookout at Stonesteps, the Kook Cafe mural, and plenty more over the years. Most recently is the billboards Spy Optic put up in downtown Encinitas to tout their new 'Happy' lens technology. Funny, the lenses are good enough to sell themselves but the controversial signs were an added bonus. So I had to find out what all the fuss was about. Was it a genuine new lens technology? Or was it just hype like the Webs fad in the 80's (I personally never wore Webs- well, not longer than a few months that is). Anyway, I gave a shout to my friend Steven Spy, CEO at Spy Optic in Carlsbad, and asked him if this was another fad or was there something about Happy technology that would change the face of sunglasses.

He gave me the straight scoop: "Spy Happy Lens technology lets in the good long-wave blue light that promotes balance in the body's circadian rhythm, blocks the harmful bad rays, and combines crisp, color contrast-enhancing lenses and Trident Polarization for the ultimate viewing experience." Basically Spy's Happy lens is the only one designed to maximize the transmission of the sun's 'Good Ray's. Why is that important you ask? Studies have shown that these good rays promote balance in the body, fostering a positive uplift in mood and alertness.
So me and the groms decided to head out to Moonlight Beach this weekend and test out their theory. First off, I had to laugh when I slipped on the sunglasses. Remember when you were little and in a bad mood and your mom would tell you 'Don't smile! I mean it! Don't smile!' And of course you had to stop being a grump and smile at the absurdity of it all. Well, when I slipped on the shades and thought I was going to be overwhelmed with 'Good Rays' in my brain, I had to laugh. So I guess in that aspect, Spy already won me over at that point. It should also be noted the weather was pretty darn spectacular this weekend so I was in a good mood to start with. Or was it the shades? Regardless, the lenses were clear as could be- I have to admit I've been wearing some competitor's shades this past year and they weren't even close. So the Happy lenses are worth the money just on that fact alone.

The next step was to let the groms wear 'em and see if it made any difference in their attitude. Basically they like to take jabs at each other all day, then they start wrestling, then someone starts crying, and then I wonder why I had kids in the first place. And wouldn't you know it, in Who-ville they say, that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day! I've never seen such harmony between brothers. Or maybe they were stoked to be wearing dad's cool shades. Regardless, something worked.
If you don't believe my testimonials, then try 'em out yourself. I wore the 'General' this weekend and they were lightweight, clearer than my HD TV, and sat comfortably on my noggin. Check out all 22 styles with Happy technology on Spy's site here. They range in price from $139.95 to $200 and can be found at Hansen's, Sun Diego, Encinitas Surfboards, Surfride, Mitch's, Rusty, etc. etc. etc.
 
And special thanks to Michael Marckx- the real CEO at Spy (Steven Spy was a joke you know) for the R&D of the shades. Don't think you're getting them back.