Thursday, April 9, 2020

Boardz N The Hood- Episode 1: Welcome Fellow Board Hoarders!


Only a surfer knows the feeling. And I'm not talking about riding waves- I'm talking about owning a surfboard. Or multiple boards known as a quiver. Surfboards are more than just fiberglass and foam. They hold a special connection with the people who ride them. On big days they save you from life and death. And on small days, they make dog s#!t taste like pumpkin pie (with apologies to Samuel L. Jackson). Ask a surfer what it's like to walk into a surf shop and see a row of boards lined up against a wall. I guarantee their mind starts racing. How big is that board? What are the dimensions? Who shaped it? What kind of waves can I ride that in? Sure I already have one like that but can I afford another? Will my wife find out? You really want me to sell one of my old boards to make room for this one? Are you crazy?! The point is, surfboards are like family and each one is unique. My theory is, there are no bad boards. There are so many variables to what makes a board go- rocker, fin placement, wide point, thickness, fin type, outline, concaves, wave size, etc. etc. etc.- that maybe surfers just ride the wrong board for the conditions. Case in point- I wouldn't ride my 5'4" 28L high tech epoxy JS at 20' mushy La Jolla Cove- but my 6'8" McCoy from 1978 that's over 40L thick would be a blast out there. Or maybe a board wasn't meant for a particular surfer- one man's trash is another man's treasure. That's why we love this marriage of fiberglass and foam- from the first board we owned to the last, they all have stories to tell.

As we wait out the quarantine and aren't allowed to leave our neighborhood (except for essentials such as toilet paper, milk, Funyons, and Preparation H), I thought it was the perfect time to have the boards tell a story in their own words- or at least from the people that ride them in my neighborhood. So when this whole virus thing is over, we'll be stoked as ever to get back in the water with our trusty companions.

Today's episode of Boardz N The Hood stars your truly- Michael Glenn- talking about the dozen boards in my garage and what each one is capable of. So without further adieu, here are the loves of my life:


Michael Glenn bio:
  • Age: 50 (I know crazy! 'Cause I look 25)
  • Height: 5'10
  • Weight: 165
  • Years surfing: 36
  • Favorite spot: Lahaina Harbor
  • Favorite board: All of them! Each one works best in the right conditions. 
Quiver:
  • 5'4" JS Psycho Nitro


  • 5'4" Tomo Evo


  • 5'6" Superbrand Craft 2


  • 5'6" Channel Islands Rocket Wide



  • 5'8" Slater Designs Sci-Fi



  • 5'10" Channel Island (late 80's)


  • 5'10" Superbrand Mad Cat


  • 5'10" Channel Islands Wizard Sleeve



  • 5'10" Channel Islands K Whip




  • 6'2" Superbrand Blackout







  • 6'6" Channel Islands K Step Up









    • 6'8" McCoy (late 70's)





    • Thanks for watching! Hope this keeps the fire alive and you're ready to rip once this whole virus thing blows over. Make sure to keep an eye out for additional episodes of Boardz N The Hood in the coming days!