Thursday, October 13, 2011

Clip of the Day: Rivalaries Are Cool Again



Is this the next big rivalry in surfing? The next Curren vs. Occy? Andy vs. Kelly? Eggers vs. Archy?! Doesn't matter how you slice it, the recent Kelly Slater vs. Owen Wright battles have been legendary. From bombing Teahupoo, to rippable Lowers, to (gasp) the skate park of NY (who would have ever thought NY got such good surf- Bob McKnight I guess). Even though Owen lost in round 5 of the Quik Pro France and Kelly in the quarters, these two were on a tear this summer. Kelly says it best in this video- 'I'm on my way out and Owens on his way in'. I don't agree 100% with Kelly- he's still got a lot in the tank. But for this year at least, it's good to see an old American vs. Australian rivalry. Heck- a goofyfoot vs. regular foot rivalry. Too bad these guys are friendly to each other- almost downright chummy. I want to see some heated paddle battles ala Occy and Curren OP Pro style!