Friday, February 4, 2011

THE Surf Report 2/4/11

I never want winter to end.

SURF:
Ok, ok. So I was crying like a baby in December when the rains flooded my house, knocked over an old growth tree in my yard, and sent the ants scurrying to higher ground- which happend to be my family room. But alas! The sun has come out, the offshore winds have blown, and the surf's been fun! My how I have a short term memory. Yesterday new WNW swell started to fill in and today we have good shoulder high+ surf in SD and slightly smaller in OC due to the island blockage. There is some small waist high SW in the water too so south OC won't miss out on all the fun. The swells only drop slightly for Saturday but it will still be rideable with nice weather. For Sunday it's looking smaller and the nice conditions hold. Should be a fun weekend regardless. Water temps are high 50's and tides this weekend are 3' at sunrise, 5' at 10am, dropping to 0' at 4:30pm, and 1' at sunset. Keep up to date on the swells and conditions at Twitter/North County Surf.

FORECAST:
After a fun Saturday and a smaller Sunday, we're looking at an even smaller Monday and early Tuesday. By Tuesday afternoon though we have some NW filling in and by Wednesday we should be back to chest high+ for north county SD/OC, head high sets for south SD, and waist high for south OC. Forecast charts show some activity in the southern hemi but most of it is headead towards South America. Hopefully we'll get a glancing blow and some waist-chest SW mid-week. Models aren't showing anything too significant later in the week for the North Pacific unfortunately- maybe some waist to chest high stuff towards Friday.

WEATHER:
Looks like no signficant weather changes in the short term- another nice weekend on tap with cool weather and no real clouds to speak of. There's a weak front moving through Monday afternoon so we may get some drizzle Tuesday but then high pressure sets up again for offshore flow towards Wednesday/Thursday. Looks like La Nina is finally in control.

BEST BET:
I'm probably going to have to say today. Another day of nice weather and we have a new WNW and smaller SW in the water. Wednesday looks to be fun too with more NW and smaller SW AND good weather again but I think today's swells may be slightly bigger. No complaints though- I'll take it!

NEWS OF THE WEEK:
You knew it was coming. My mouth is too big to be contained on email. I'm hitting the big time! I'm getting my own show on MTV! You know that's a lie. They can't afford me with all those Jersey Shore salaries. So I'm doing the next best thing- I've started a blog. Now before you start laughing and delete this email, hear me out! There's a lot of good information out there that I can't fit into 1 weekly email. Plus, let's be honest, you're only doing about 1 hour of work everyday and you cruise the interent the other 7, so why not be useful and check out North County Surf Blogspot? I come across deals all day long and I feel bad hoarding them all to myself. Plus, if I see some suspicious buoy activity and the swell of the century is coming- you need to know about it before the Friday Surf Report email! You'll find it all right there at NorthCounty Surf Blogspot. I also include action sports news, happenings around town, basically anything you should know about to shave some stress off your life. So make sure to check it out, bookmark it, and tell your friends about it! That way I really will get that MTV deal and become the king of all media!

PIC OF THE WEEK:

While category 5 Cylcone Yasi was devastating Queensland on Australia's northeast coast, Taj Burrow and his mates were destroying sand sucking right handers on the west coast. The crew at Epic Swells in Oz documented it for all of us to enjoy (or rub our faces in it- not sure). You be the judge.

Keep Surfing,

Michael W. Glenn
Gentlemand AND a Scholar
Super Bowl Chump
2nd to Reno at the '74 World Championships