Thursday, May 29, 2014

South County Business News: I'm The Next Al Merrick

Ran into a buddy the other day who told me I needed to go down to North Park and check out a really cool concept called the Shaper Studios. Since I usually don't leave the confines of Torrey Pines to O'side, I had to gather up a little courage and head to an area called 'South County'. Yikes. Didn't know what to expect down there. But my buddy said I'd been missing out and I needed to check it.
So I gassed up the Datsun and met Christopher Clark, owner of the Shaper Studios. It's been open for 5 months now and he's got a good thing going. He's got shaping bays where you can make your own surfboard. Doesn't matter if it's an alaia a groveler or a SUP, his facility will let you do it all.
Now shaping your own board isn't all that new, but his concept is. The studio is also a surf shop and a gathering of the tribes. Chris offers memberships which gets you into seminars, classes, events, workshops, etc. as well as unlimited tools for shaping. The price to make your own board is reasonable too- pretty much the same as an off the rack board- but of course you get the exact size and shape you want AND it's something you created- not a machine in Thailand.
Chris got the idea while working on his MBA at San Diego State (like other famous alums Mrs. Cunningham, Marshall Faulk, and Sherriff Bart from Blazing Saddles) and he's been successful so it just steamrolled into a full time job. Hours are 11-6 every day of the week and closed on Mondays because he needs to get some water time in. They're even having a 'shape off' this fall where the best board wins a million dollars. I'm kidding of course but you will have the notoriety of being the next Al Merrick. Make sure to leave your comfort zone of North County and head on down to the Shaper Studios this summer at 4225 30th St., San Diego, CA 92104. If you need more info, give 'em a shout at 925 683 9911.